Hello, neighbors. Carlos Hernandez here with your Thursday edition of the Tampa Daily, filled with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town. Today’s briefing includes news about…
But first, today’s weather:
Partly sunny. High: 79 Low: 65.
Here are the top stories today in Tampa:
1. Tampa rents dropped around 1.4 percent month-over-month in November compared to 1 percent nationally. Unfortunately, the drop still leaves rent far above earning growth in the Tampa area. Rent in Tampa has been up nearly 40 percent since the start of the pandemic and the labor market is now beginning to cool. (ABC Action News, WTSP)
2. Tampa’s first Sweetgreen is opening in Tampa Heights on Tuesday, Dec. 13, according to a Google page listing. The concept is known for build-your-own bowls packed with fresh and tasty proteins and a variety of healthy add-ons. It is also known for serving seasonal ingredients sourced from local farmers as well. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
3. The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office and Tampa Police Department bid farewell to two K-9 crime fighters last week. K-9 Jager was known to make appearances at schools, public events, and neighborhoods in Pinellas. Meanwhile K-9 Indo was known across the bridge in Tampa for being fearless in the face of anger and died on the job. (Tampa Patch)
4. Urban Air Adventure Park, known as the largest indoor adventure park operator on the planet, is coming to Tampa area. The parks feature over 20 different attractions including laser tag, dodgeball courts, electric Go-Karting, and more for guests to enjoy. Each location also features a fast-casual cafe to enjoy. (That’s So Tampa)
5. Tampa businesses are increasingly joining TikTok as the importance of the social media app rises, despite increasing controversy over the app by the U.S. government. Armature Works staple and popular birria business Muchachas has almost 15,000 followers and posts with up to 2 million views, no easy feat for a small business. Another local business, Pop Goes the Waffle, says TikTok is a major source of sales nowadays as well. (Subscription: Tampa Bay Times, Free: Axios)
Sponsored by Wise Bread:
High Paying Cards For Americans With Good To Excellent Credit — The best credit cards of 2022 offer a $300 bonus and exceptional rewards on purchases. Start racking up huge rewards!
Today in Tampa:
From my notebook:
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow with another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Contact me at SouthTampa@Patch.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.